I saw this experiment mentioned in a CNN article a few days ago. The experiment has an interesting design, if you have the time to read the original paper published in Animal Behaviour, but the Reader's Digest version goes something like this: while most agree that hermit crabs (and other decapods) have nociceptive abilities (detecting and avoiding noxious and/or harmful stimuli), the investigators found evidence that the hermit crab may actually feel pain, and remember it. They found that future behaviors from crabs in the "shock" group differed from those in the "no-shock" group (ie - the natural, survival-driven behavior), supporting the conclusion that the change in behavior may be motivated by the memory of the "shock" experience. I should point out that these shocks were kept below the level that would cause the immediate evacuation of the crab from the shell - the idea being that while the shock was meant to be uncomfortable/painful, it was not enough to superseded the most salient survival motivator for the crab - avoiding vulnerability by remaining in the shell, which is their main line of personal defense. [sorry about the ridiculous plethora of clauses in this paragraph, I'm feeling lazy about editing]
So I read this experimental paper, and I have to admit, my knee jerk reaction was to cringe at the thought of the hermit crabs' relative - the blue crab - being steamed alive in a giant pot so it could be eaten. And then I started to salivate. Because that crab is being cooked with Old Bay. And someone is going to get to pick the meat from that crab. And then dip it in more Old Bay. Or maybe melted butter. Or vinegar. And that someone is going to get to drink cold beer between bites. They'll be sitting at a table (probably of the wooden, picnic variety) that is covered in brown paper as the tablecloth. And maybe they're in a backyard, or out on a restaurant's deck overlooking the water. And that someone is going to spend hours picking, eating, drinking, and chatting with friends and family.
And that is one of the things I loved most about Maryland Summers.
Monday, April 06, 2009
am i a bad person?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hahahahaha. This is exactly why I couldn't be a vegetarian--as much as I want to be empathetic, animals are way too delicious.
That sounds delicious. No, you're not a bad person. Well according to me at least, and I have low standards.
for not blogging in almost a month? yes!
Post a Comment